Read more on Vogue
Craft the Chicest Spring Capsule Wardrobe–All for Under $300 by Laura Jackson
Thanks to those high-street heroes we know and love, like Mango, Cos, and Everlane, crafting a perfectly uninformed look doesn’t have to break the bank. Even contemporary brands—think Staud, Reformation, and Ganni—offer up fabulous fashion finds for under $300. As we continue transitioning our closets from winter to spring, relying on a strong (and affordable!) foundation of style staples is one fail-proof way to tackle the seasonal switch-up.
Vogue’s Under-$300 Spring Wish List:
- The Cropped Trench Coat: Cos belted linen utility jacket, $150
- The Denim Skirt: Grlfrnd Amara denim maxi skirt, $225
- The Lightweight Liner: The Frankie Shop quilted ripstop jacket, $285
- The White Jeans: Agolde Low Rise Baggy jeans, $228
- The Striped Sweater: La Ligne Marin striped cashmere-blend sweater, $295
- The Suit Vest: Reformation Devin vest, $128
- The Daytime Dress: Dôen Ischia shirred floral-print maxi dress, $300
- The Sleek Loafers: Tory Burch ballet loafers, $298
- The Basket Bag: Dragon Diffusion Gora mini basket bag, $281
- The Everyday Sneaker: Veja SDU rubber-trimmed sneakers, $155
This spring, our affordable capsule wardrobe begins and ends with the basics—and what is more basic than a delightful pair of denim? Specifically, long-line denim skirts and white jeans; we’re wearing these essentials with the sleekest shoe styles of the season, like a pair of Everlane smoking loafers and New Balance sneakers. Because spring weather is forever in flux, a roster of lightweight outerwear is crucial to any chic capsule wardrobe. Our jackets of choice include quilted shell liners from The Frankie Shop and Amazon’s The Drop to cropped trench coats from Cos and Massimo Dutti. While notably nautical, a selection of striped sweaters is a seasonal standout. Whether it’s La Ligne’s Marin crewneck or a J.Crew cardigan, style your stripes atop the aforementioned white jeans or even draped over a daytime dress. Speaking of dresses, flowy frocks from Dôen, Faithfull The Brand, and Staud go from spring to summer seamlessly. For a twist on tailoring, invest in a suit vest. Wear singularity as a top or with a matching trouser for a full polished look. And finally, to finish off any look, carry a festive basket bag from Dragon Diffusion, Zara, or Hat Attack.
All for under $300, these affordable capsule wardrobe pieces are as high-quality and chic as ever. Shop our edit, below.
Layering essentials that can easily be added in and out of an outfit are ideal for an affordable capsule wardrobe. Enter the striped sweater. Worn all on its own or underneath one of your newly minted pieces of outerwear, the nautical style isn’t just reserved for the summer months. Get the look courtesy of La Ligne, Zara, Kule, and more.