Read more on WWD…
25 Cute Beach Outfits to Wear All Summer Long by Kristina Rutkowski
Bring on the best beachwear for infinite outfit ideas.
Travel is finally back and whether you have grand plans for far away getaways, or simply a day trip to your local seashore, cute beach outfits are a must when it comes to summer shopping. If you’re aiming to keep things casual and cute, or prefer statement-making pairings that will stand out in a crowd, you will want to inject a little playfulness into your beach look.
“I think what makes beach dressing fun and fashionable is the freedom to try something new and embrace a look outside your typical style,” Patricia Bonaldi, founder and creative director of PatBo, tells WWD. “I know so many New Yorkers who wear head-to-toe black in the city, but lean into color and print for the beach as a fun, different expression of their style.”
What to Wear to the Beach
We saw a lot of runway trends perfect for the beach this Spring/Summer 2022 season. Vacation was on many designers’ minds, from crochet summer dresses at Gabriela Hearst and Jonathan Simkhai, to surfer style taking center stage at Stella McCartney, Etro and Isabel Marant. Even the return of gladiator and other cute summer sandals at Alberta Ferretti and Valentino, instantly sparked ideas of dreamy, vacation-ready outfits. However, both our experts agree, you don’t have to follow the trends when it comes to forming your perfect beach capsule wardrobe.
“I personally don’t tend to follow trends; I dress with my gut and what makes me feel good,” Bonaldi says. “I also love exactly that — a beach wardrobe! — pieces that are versatile and not just swim, but for the boat, seaside dinners and exploring the town, while still feeling comfortable and beachy,” agrees Marysia Dobrzanska Reeves, founder of Marysia. “I’m not a super trends driven designer. I had this plaid print designed for years and it finally felt right to add it in. I loved our green plaid last season and wanted to continue in a slightly different feel but super strong, yet soft, by adding the water colored polka dots by my friend, artist Caitlin McGauley.”
So what is important when shopping for beach outfits? “Comfort! When you are comfortable in your own skin, your confidence shows,” Reeves tells WWD, while Bonaldi confirms that “for functionality, the key is to feel super comfortable, supported and free to not stress about the swimsuit brands and or the clothes after you unpack. Being on vacation and at the beach is a time to have fun and relax, not to worry or feel discomfort! I think about this every time I design for the beach and always aim for versatile, comfortable, chic, joyful and flattering.”
Take it from the experts and have a little fun when styling out your beach looks this summer. Just remember comfort is key when it comes to pulling off any outfit. Below, discover the tips and tricks to building the best beach outfits for vacation and beyond.
Cute Beach Outfits for Women for 2022
- The Wide-Brimmed Straw Hat: Sensi Studio Aguacate Hat Long Brim
- The Denim Cut-Off Shorts: Levi’s Women’s 501® Originals Shorts
- The Printed Board Shorts: Roxy Women’s to Dye 7” Boardshort
- The Rubber Slip-On Slide Sandal: Birkenstock Unisex Arizona Essentials Eva Sandals
- The One-Piece Swimsuit: Marysia Mott Maillot
- The Long-Sleeve Cover-Up: J.Crew Cotton-Linen Beach Shirt
- The High-Waisted Bikini: Patbo Hibiscus Ruffle Bikini Bottom
- The Wide-Leg Palazzo Pant: Alémais Sofia Printed Cotton and Linen Wide-Leg Pants
- The Flip-Flop Sandal: Havaianas Women’s Flip Flop Sandal
- The Floral Beach Dress: Patbo Aster Cut-Out Maxi Dress
- The Billowy Long-Sleeve Dress: H&M Balloon-Sleeved Dress
- The Oversized Designer Sunglasses: Celine Eyewear Square-Frame Tortoiseshell Acetate Sunglasses
- The Terry Cloth Short: Kule The Terry Venus Short
- The Printed Cover-Up Robe: Cin Cin Oracle Sheer Robe
- The Carryall Canvas Tote Bag: L.L.Bean Boat and Tote
- The Retro Crochet Dress: Mango Daisy Crochet Dress
- The Sarong Skirt: Sea Ida Print Sarong
- The Bucket Hat: Business & Pleasure Co. Bucket Hat
- The Cabana Shirt: Tombolo Company Island Hopping Shirt
- The White Denim Short Overalls: Madewell Denim Corsica Short Overalls
- The Gladiator Sandal: Cornetti Istana Sandal
- The Smocked Sundress: Hill House Home The Nap Dress®
- The Rashguard Swimsuit: Marysia North Sea Rashguard
- The Belted Linen Mini Dress: Anemos x Ciao Lucia Belted Mini Dress
- The Crafty Straw Bag: Cesta Collective Raffia Tote Bag
Keep scrolling to see all the ways you can create cute beach outfits this summer from our experts and more.
Kule The Terry Venus Short
The Terry Cloth Short
Terry cloth is trending this summer and we are loving the cute and slightly ‘70s styles designers are offering for the season. Kule’s terry short features an elastic waist, making it a breeze to slip on, off and over your favorite suit with ease. Throw it on for quick runs to the beachfront taco stand or take a wander on the boardwalk. The short is offered in nine different color ways, from classic navy to bold and bright lemon yellow, in the irresistibly soft cotton blend fabric. When styling, we recommend trying out a full matching set with either The Terry Flamingo, their short-sleeved cabana shirt or The Terry Selena, cropped strappy tank top, to lean into the trend fully.